Latest News

5 Best ski boots for wide feet (2017)

If you are someone that has wide feet and struggles to find ski boots that are comfortable, here is a rundown on the 5 best wide lasted ski boots.

Now these boots have been chosen as they combine wide last widths, while still providing great performance. There are other wide boots available in the beginner to intermediate category but these are the best wide boots for you to grow with and progress your skiing. There are also the same models available in women's boots.

The first thing you want to make sure is that you actually do have a wide foot. It will be helpful for you to know your foot length, width, instep height and shape. Watch these two videos to be entirely clear on your feets dimensions and how they relate to the size of a ski boot.

Measure your feet for ski boots

Ski boot sizing

WATCH THIS:

Then we can look at which boots will be best to suit your wide feet.

1. Tecnica Ten.2 HVL

Firstly we can look at the boot with the widest last on the market. That is the Tecnica Ten 2 HVL. It is available in two flexes (100,120) and has whopping 106mm last. A feature of Quick Instep MAX allows great height over the instep and ease of entry. For big and wide feet it may well be the best option for instant comfort.

Next option for wide feet is the Hawx Magna. A generous fit in volume, this boot has a fantastic anatomical last shape and liner specially designed for wide feet. Even though only listed at 102mm last, the beauty of this boot is that it features Atomic's Memory Fit. This allows the boot to expand further in width after heating the plastic for 5 mins at 117 degrees. A great combination of performance and adaptability.

3. Head Advant Edge

A serious contender in this wide fit category the Advant Edge from Head. It is another solid skiing, well fitting customisable ski boot. Featuring Form Fit technology, this boot can also be heat molded to gain more space if required. It begins with a high volume 2100cc /102mm last and can expand easily. Stacked with features this is a well thought out, great option to try on.

4. Dalbello Blender/Boss

This boot although only being a 103 last boot has its benefit with its volume and shape for wider feet. It is also the best wide fitting option if you are looking for a cabrio design 3 piece boot. Available with either a stock or intuition liner, it is a great boot for wider footed freeskiers.

5. Salomon X-Pro/ Quest Pro

So these boots start with a mid fitting type last, the great thing for wide feet is the outstanding ability to mold to fit wider feet with the Custom Shell plastic (Kaprolene). Starting at a 100mm last with 10 mins of heating this boots expands out up to a 106mm last. I have seen great results with getting this boot to fit extremely wide feet and has a generous instep height aswell. Great for anyone with a narrower heel but wider forefoot only.

(BONUS)- Atomic LF (livefit)

As an extra option is the Atomic Live fit. And this is a boot that can instantly adapt to your extra wide feet. Truly a fantastic choice for a comfort boot. This boot has been scaled back this year and why it has been bumped from the list. It now tops out at a 100 flex option as the top of this line.(previously had a 130 flex) Which is still great for the intermediate skier, yet may leave more aggressive or heavier skiers searching for more.

The biggest trait of this boot is the live fit zones on either side of the forefoot. This allows the wider forefoot to fit in the boot without being compressed. The first and fifth metatarsal will expand into this rubberised live fit zone.
With a last of 104 plus live fit and a square toe box, this is an amazing boot for wide feet. Also there is a flat shim in the base that can be easily removed for an extra 2mm of height.

With all these boots in mind, it is best to check your feet within the ski boots shells to make sure the size of length and width will work for you.

(See how to shell fit here)

Even with these wider boots, some people will still require their boots to be stretched in order to fit their extremely wide feet.

*This post has been updated to stay relevant for the current year of ski boot releases. (11/30/2016)

Want to learn how to make your ski boots comfortable?

Click here.

Comments

Patriot on July 06 2017 at 01:50PM

Hi Al,

Thanks for commenting on the Patriot Footbeds ski boot article. I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

So traditionally wide fitting ski boots are paired up with higher volumes in their construction. For your case where you only have a wide foot up front, I would recommend going into either a heat moldable option like the Salomon Xpro or Atomic Hawx.

Or alternatively you can get a medium fitting boot manually stretched to suit the width of your foot.

Cheers,

Craig

Al on June 10 2017 at 04:17PM

My feet are wide but not fat. My boots are wide enough but much too high. Any boots that are just wide but have normal volume?

Patiot on February 05 2017 at 11:49AM

Hi King John,
Great to hear you are getting it sorted out. It can be the case that having your boots to narrow for your feet is what will be the cause of a neuroma. I hope you get a massive improvement, but also be sure to check your boots fit to ensure you don’t develop this again.
Cheers

Patriot on February 05 2017 at 11:47AM

Hi Max,
Message sent to your inbox :)

King John on February 04 2017 at 01:42PM

I have skied over 50 years and I have always had problems with forefoot pain. I always thought was due to the boot fit cutting of my circulation; I either have to over-loosen them, otherwise I have aching pain in my forefoot area all day. First I feel a hot spot just behind my middle toes and then I feel tingling, numbness and pain in all of my my toes. In the past 3 seasons this problem has worsened and I have tried a couple of custom molded boots however I still have pain. It turns out the problem is my foot. I have found out that I have a neuroma (nerve swelling from irritation) in my forefoot in the metatarsal arch. I have an appointment next week to try to address it. Hopefully I will be able to ski painlessly soon.

Max Mironov on February 01 2017 at 06:24PM

Hey guys,

I’ve had a lot of issues with boots in my years of skiing. Solution – wait for my feet to go numb from lack of circulation and keep going haha. My foot measures out at 280mm length, 110mm last, and regular instep (although I’ve been told my Inkline boot fitters in UT that I have very wide ankles.) I’m 6’3, 240# and ski aggressively.

I currently have a pair of Lange Fluid 120 boots. 100mm last, and Inkline made foot beds for me and punched the inner ankles. They still make my foot go numb, and I cannot ski with the bottom buckles tensioned.

Q1 – is there any good boot option for me with a tech fitting?
Q2 – what are your thoughts on the Rossignol Alias 120 – 104mm last?
Q3 – is there an option for me to fly to you, buy a pair of boots and liners from you, and have you set me up?

Cheers,
Max

Julio on January 30 2017 at 10:55AM

I have a a very wide foot….5/6E depending on the shoe. I bought a pair of boots from DaleBoot in Salt Lake City Utah. The model I bought are too soft (but work) and I wish I skied in the Salt Lake area so I could have them refitted to get them just right. Pricey but well worth the look.

Patriot on January 19 2017 at 11:32AM

Hi Janis,

It sounds like your best solution will be a boot stretch mate.

You mention you are near a Surefoot. Are there any other bootfitting stores near you?

Surefoot tends to only focus on foam fitting boots, but other bootfitters will be able to manually expand a boot to fit your wide feet!

Cheers,

Craig

Janis Zagars on January 18 2017 at 01:32AM

Hi guys,

I have all the same problems that you mentioned, I am skiing instructor and I ski in Atomic LiveFit 130 boots. I did lift my heels up by 5 mm inside boot, it helped but balls of my feet are still killing me after 2 hours. Also these boots are too soft for me as I am 100 kg 195 cm. I would like to have boots with four buckles but none of those fit my feet. I even went to Surefoot to make boots for me but they were not able to help me as they didn’t have any boots with enough volume for my feet. If someone have any solution or suggestion I would appreciate any ideas.

Thanks!

MIke on January 17 2017 at 04:43AM

Patrick.. I’m a 245 lb 6’0" guy with WICKED wide feet. I’ve been trying to get into skiing so I borrowed a buddies boots but was in agony. I only made it halfway down the mountain before I had to stop and take my boots off on the side of the mountain to give my feet a rest. I’ve watched you videos for boot fit up and read many pages of your website. A ton of good information. However, the more I read the more I think it might be a hopeless effort for me. My feet measure 27.5 cm long by 115mm wide forefront with a high instep. I’ve looked at the Atomic Live Fit and the Tecnica Ten.2 boots online as these seem to have the most promise. But even those boots made for sasquatch feet are a full 10mm smaller than my foot width. Do I have any options besides trying to bear through the pain or are there boots out there that might work with my foot? Thanks for your help!! – Mike

Patriot on December 26 2016 at 07:06PM

Hey Big Joe,
Certainly a unique situation for yourself.
2 Boots I would highly suggest for easy entry would be the Head Cube or the Roxa Freebird. Both have a wide fit and open up nicely as the easiest boots to get on your feet.
Cheers,
Craig

big joe on December 26 2016 at 12:03AM

I live in Ontario Canada Im 330lbs 6ft I,m a amputee below the knee rght leg I have been skiing off on over 3o years just got a pair of Atomic LF
They are 31.5 boot size good looking boots length and toes not cramped .
but my heel is too narrow my arch is killing me way to hard getting in and out of them .most of my boots were rear entry from 80,s and 90,s .I like to wear my boots for 4 to 6 hours .I,m not racing I just want to be comfortable .
I just wish I had an old pair Salomons rear entries .it,s just not fair spending $500 on boots you can,t get out of your living room. skiing should be painful .I will be turning them .

Patriot on November 17 2016 at 10:38AM

Hi Diarmid,
Yeah that is the compromise really with these boots. It is a snowboard boot surrounded by an exo shell. It will really depend on how aggressively you ski as to whether they would work.

Diarmid on November 15 2016 at 10:41PM

Has anyone looked at Apex boots that Ellis Brigham stock? They look very tempting despite the price – my only worry might be reduced control. However they do badge them as sport/ performance boots. I have suffered from bad foot pain for years with skiing and the price may just be worth it.

Patriot on April 12 2016 at 01:24PM

Hi Chris,
My best advice is to first measure your feet https://patriotfootbeds.com/blogs/bootorials/48749697-measuring-your-feet-for-ski-boots

And then see how you compare to your boot shells. https://patriotfootbeds.com/blogs/bootorials/16773361-shell-fitting

That will be the best way to figure out exactly what the problem may be.

Chris on April 12 2016 at 07:53AM

head edge 10- stretched and fitted by ellis brigham, Castleford.
Burning balls of pain!!!
i only ski fast so i can get to a chair quick and take the weight off my feet.
what should i do?

Patriot on March 15 2016 at 09:51AM

Hi Phil, email sent

Phil on March 14 2016 at 03:21AM

I bought some head boots from castle-ford Ellis Brigham about 4 years ago I’ve ski last few years they are a size 12 only 104mm wide I’m been in so much pain I have a wide foot I’ve had them stretched thrid set of in soles it’s starting to stop me from skiing I also have soft skin feet and it feel like they are burning on the balls of my foot when I’m skiing I want to not make the same mistake again it’s that bad I take my boots off on the cable cars and bars I’m I wearing the right socks etc or is it just the boots where should I go ????
Phil big foot :((((